Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Motive

       Motive. This word had me thinking all the way home from bible study this evening. The question was raised 'What is our motive for looking good, exercising, losing weight?' Is it because we're afraid of what other people think, to become healthier, to have your husband notice, to have other men notice, to keep up with girlfriends, is it because your body is a temple, a living place of the Holy Spirit?
       Several years ago, during one of our heart-to-hearts, Marv said a few words that I'll never forget. I was feeling insecure about my weight and not being fit after having the twins. In a nutshell, I asked him if my extra weight bothered him at all. His reply will always stick with me. He said, "Inside you're still the woman I married." Inside. Hit me like a ton of bricks. Still makes me tear up. He didn't care that my outside had become mis-shapen and I had grown extra skin, he fell in love with my heart! God loves us, loves our hearts, no matter the scars and wounds. God doesn't care if we cover ourselves in the fanciest threads. It's the inside He cares about, that only comes from a relationship with him. My motivation for dieting and exercising back then had been to look good for Marv. I believe that my heart wasn't in the right place, that's why I wasn't successful. I would be lying if I didn't say that Marv's enjoying the new tansformation and tells me almost daily. I workout and run because I love it!!! There's almost nothing like the feeling of getting done with a workout, shirt soaked in sweat, heart beating like crazy knowing I kicked butt! If your workouts pale in comparison, call me, we will hit the gym.
        I realize there is more working out to be done on my inside, my heart, but I am accountable to several people. As one lady said, "You can tell beautiful people from the inside out, they shine." I want to go to my grave as having been known as a beautiful person, not because of the cothes on my back or the size jeans I wear, but because Christ shines THROUGH me!

1 comment:

  1. Great post! And rest assured you ARE beautiful on the inside AND out!! Keep up the great work! :)

    ReplyDelete